Plates we won't issue
There are a few (we think pretty reasonable) reasons why we might reject your number plate application.
While we enjoy having a good time, being responsible, safe and considerate to other road users is something we take very seriously. Plates containing offensive language, anti-social values or a negative road safety message will be unacceptable.
We will not issue plates which contain:
- Inappropriate language (Obscenity, Sexually Explicit or Physical and mental health references);
- Racial, Religious, Sexual Intolerance;
- Poor Road Safety message (Contrary to Road Safety Campaigns, Drug and Alcohol abuse);
- Combinations reserved for Government;
- Derogatory comment/disrespect to the law/law enforcement/law enforcers;
- Contain the letters "TOW" at the beginning or end of the combination;
- Contain references to terrorist organisations listed by the Federal Government of Australia under the Security and Legislation Amendment (Terrorism) Act 2002; or
- Combinations containing the letter "I" and "O" may not be issued where they can be confused with the numbers "1" and "0".
Please note that VicRoads has the right to make decisions about the suitability of a plate combination.
All this information is contained (in legal jargon) amongst our Terms and Conditions and in FAQs'.